After doing our part to stimulate the economy at the outlet mall, we checked into a KOA campground and then drove around, looking for somewhere to eat dinner. We soon discovered that all those Canadian shopping tourists had to eat too and all the local restaurants had waits in excess of an hour.
So, deeper into the countryside we went as the sun started to go down. And over a rise, we came upon an Amish farm.
You can tell this an Amish settlement because there are no electric wires or lights, nor did we see any cars or other motorized vehicles. We’ll go exploring this area in more depth tomorrow.
About 10 miles from the campground we found a quaint, country restaurant. The building was built in the 1840s as a doctor’s office and it was a stop on the underground railroad (the route taken by fleeing slaves) during the Civil War. It was converted to a restaurant in 1931.
We tried the local Amish meal called pierogies, which consist of dough, stuffed with potatoes and cheese, topped with grilled onions. Mmmmmm, mmmmm.